Local housing strategy
Housing plays a vital part in all our lives. Having somewhere to stay that is safe and warm is one of the most basic needs we have. Without good housing, improvements in other important aspects of life, such as health, education and community are more difficult if not impossible to achieve. South Ayrshire Council is committed to ensuring as far as possible that people are able to access good quality, affordable housing that meets their needs.
In order to achieve this, South Ayrshire Council has recently completed a Local Housing Strategy for the period 2017 to 2022. From October 2015 through to November 2016, we worked with tenants, residents, businesses and service providers throughout the area to find out people's views on the housing issues that matter most to them. These issues included:
- Housing advice, housing support and homelessness
- Property condition in the private and social rented sectors
- Fuel poverty and energy efficiency
- The quality of our neighbourhoods and communities
- The supply of affordable housing locally.
The process of developing the Local Housing Strategy involved considerable consultation, including:
- 11 local discussion sessions, held in Ayr, Prestwick, Troon, Maybole and Girvan
- An online survey distributed throughout South Ayrshire
- A Pop-up Consultation and Information Stall at a number of Community events
- Various sessions for people who may face barriers to attending a public consultation session.
At each of these events, people had a chance to give their views on what ourself and partners should be doing over the next five years in housing and neighbourhoods. The views given during this time were then used to shape the Local Housing Strategy, in cooperation with a wide range of local and national groups and organisations.
Housing need and demand assessment
In order to develop the LHS a Housing Need and Demand Assessment (HNDA) was produced and submitted to the Centre for Housing Market Analysis in June 2015. The HNDA provides information and statistics about housing issues within South Ayrshire such as homelessness, housing need, key housing market drivers and current housing stock. View the current HNDA document.
We would love to hear your opinions on any of the topics discussed. If you would like to share your views then please don't hesitate to phone or email us at:
Ross Morris: 01292 612206