Schools and early years centres

Reopening of schools and early years centres

View information on the reopening of schools and early years centres

SQA Statement on Exams for Session 2020-21 - 16th October 2020

On Wed 7th October the Deputy First Minister announced the arrangements and changes for the May 2021 exam diet. Information can be found at:

Schools Update - 31 July 2020

The Scottish Government have now confirmed schools will reopen full time for all pupils in August. In South Ayrshire, schools will reopen on Wednesday 12 August, but in most schools the first three days will be a phased return. This is to allow us to test new arrangements such as safe pick up and drop off; one way systems; hand washing; break times; social distancing for adults and between adults and children.Your school will be in touch confirming who should attend on the 12th, 13th and 14th of August. All pupils will return full time from Monday 17 August.  

Early Learning and Childcare 1140 Hours Expansion 

South Ayrshire Council are ready to deliver 1140 early learning and childcare hours if public health advice is changed at the end of July, as indicated by Mr Swinney  in his announcement on Thursday 16 July.

It is hoped that the change in the guidance, and continued suppression of the virus, will enable children aged 3-5 years who reside in South Ayrshire to access 1140 hours from August. Children aged two will have access to the statutory entitlement of  600 hours, and where possible, they may have access to more hours.

We appreciate that the last few months have brought about uncertainty for families who were hoping to benefit from the increased hours when early years centres re-open in August, and we'd like to thank parents for their patience and support.

Are private-run nurseries closing?

Parents should contact their private-run nursery for more information.

Can I still send my child to a childminder?

As long as your child, and everyone living at home does not have any symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), and your childminder does not have these symptoms, then yes.

Please follow government and health advice as this may change over time.

Education maintenance allowance

Education Maintenance allowance (EMA) payments will continue for young people. Our staff are working at home and will ensure this continues.

Will I have to teach my child at home?

Parents and carers will support their child's learning.

Each school is making arrangements for online and paper-based learning, so children and young people can continue with their education during this period of School and Early Years Centres closures. Your school will inform you of their specific arrangements.

Parents will be kept informed through their school, and your school will advise you how they will keep in touch with you in due course.

Parent/Carer Survey-Recovery of schools and Early Years Centres August 2020

At the end of May/beginning of June we sought the views of our parents and carers to support our planning for recovery. At this stage the recovery models were based on a 'blended learning' approach between school and home with the results of the survey helping support preparations for a return to learning for children and young people in August.   Following the Depute First Minister announcement on the 18th June the plan is for all children to return to school full time from the 12th August 2020.

Icon for pdf Recovery of Schools and EYC parent survey results overview [103.1KB]

Icon for word Recovery of Schools and EYC parent survey thematic review [103.74KB]

How will my child receive coursework?

Each school is making arrangements for online and paper-based learning, so children and young people can continue with their education during this period of school and nursery closures. Your school will inform you of their specific arrangements.

I don't have internet access or Wi-Fi. How can my child receive course work?

Alternative provisions will be put in place to ensure children and young people who don't have internet access or wi-fi will still receive course work. This is likely to be through printed materials, such as worksheets, taken home by children and young people or delivered to their home.

What if you or your child has health issues or needs additional support?

We are working through the emerging guidance on supporting families who need it most. Please be assured that we will update you on what support is available as quickly as we can.

In the interim, if you face a situation where you become unwell and do not have alternative childcare arrangements, please speak with your school directly for advice and guidance.

What should I do if I or someone in my family contracts coronavirus (COVID-19)?

If you have any symptoms consistent with coronavirus (COVID-19), namely a new continuous cough, a fever/high temperature, or a loss or change in taste or smell, however mild, you must book a coronavirus test as soon as possible and self-isolate immediately for 7 days. 

If you live with others, all other members of the household should stay at home for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day illness began in the first person. Detailed stay at home advice can be found at NHS Inform.

To reduce the spread of illness, follow the 'Catch it, Bin it, Kill it' advice, as well as washing your hands often with soap and water regularly, or use an alcohol based hand rub.